I. Jesus __________ to go (1:3-5)
A. Jesus__________ his resurrection (v. 3)
B. Jesus __________ the Holy Spirit (v. 4-5)
II. The disciples prepare to be__________ (1:6-8)
III. Jesus __________ (Acts 1:9-11; Luke 24:50-53)
3 ways to live in a season of preparation:
1. Live for God’s__________ , not ours (v. 3)
2. __________ to the Holy Spirit (v. 4-5, 8)
3. __________ what God has revealed (v. 7-8)
- Have you ever read the whole book of Acts? Read it this week from
beginning to end (or listen on a Bible app). When you finish, what stands
out to you? What are the characteristics of the early church we should
seek to model? What questions do you have?
- R. Kent Hughes contrasts the book of Acts with the four Gospels:
“In the Gospels the Son of Man offered his life; in Acts the Son of God
offered his power. In the Gospels we see the original seeds of Christianity;
in Acts we see the continual growth of the Church. The Gospels tell us of
Christ crucified and risen; Acts speaks of Christ ascended and exalted. The
Gospels model the Christian life as lived by the perfect Man; Acts models
it as lived out by imperfect men.”
- Read Luke 24:36-53. Now read Acts 1:3. What proofs did Jesus give
His disciples that he was really alive (bodily resurrection)? Why is the
bodily resurrection of Jesus so important?
- Besides proving He was alive, what else did Jesus speak to the disciples
about? Jesus taught them about the Kingdom of God frequently in Luke’s
gospel (Luke 6:20; 7:28; 13:18-21; 14:15-24; 17:20-21; 18:15-17, 24-
30). How is the Kingdom of God different than the Kingdoms of the world?
- Why did Jesus instruct his disciples to wait in Jerusalem (Acts 1:4-5)?
- Read John 16:7. Why is it to the disciples’ advantage that he go away?
- If you could spend 40 days with Jesus in person, what questions would
you ask about the Kingdom of God? What did the disciples ask in Acts
1:6? Why did they ask that? What was their expectation?
- What does Jesus promise in Acts 1:8? Why is this groundbreaking for
them? Have you ever witnessed (shared the gospel) before? What
- Read Acts 1:9-11 and Luke 24:50-53. What happened when Jesus
ascended to heaven? What did the disciples do in response?
- How do you know if you are living for God’s Kingdom of another
kingdom? What will you do to live for God’s Kingdom this week?
- How will you submit to the Holy Spirit this week?