- One Outdoor Service Next Sunday at 10:00am- Church Picnic to Follow
- Fall Kickoff- September 17: Two services (9 and 10:45 am) Small Group and Dinner 6 sign ups between Services
- Community Youth Kickoff and Parent Night- September 13 at 6:30pm- Parents are encouraged to attend
A. God _____ (Gen. 2:1-3)
B. The _____ commandment (Ex. 20:8-11)
C. The purpose of Sabbath (Matt. 12:1-8)
II. _____ on Jesus (our Sabbath rest)
A. _____ leads to restlessness (Ps. 95:7b-11; Heb. 3:12-19)
B. Belief leads to _____ (Hebrews 4:1-11)
- What details do you notice about Genesis 2:1-3? What God tired after creating everything in six days? Why or why not? What did God do for the seventh day?
- Why is keeping Sabbath important for the people of Israel according to Exodus 20:11? Should we apply the fourth commandment literally in our lives today? Why or why not? What are some ways we can apply sabbath principles to our lives as Christians under the new covenant?
- Read Matthew 12:1-8. What is Jesus’ point to the Pharisees? How does this apply to how they view the Sabbath? What is the purpose of the Sabbath? D. A. Carson: That Jesus Christ is Lord of the Sabbath is not only a messianic claim of grand proportions, but it raises the possibility of a future change or reinterpretation of the Sabbath, in precisely the same way that His professed superiority over the Temple raises certain possibilities about ritual law. (From Sabbath to Lord’s Day, 66)
- Read Romans 14:5 and Colossians 2:16-17. What should we not allow people to pass judgment over? What is Paul saying about the Sabbath? Tom Schreiner says, “What Paul says here is remarkable…for he lumps the Sabbath together with food laws, festivals like Passover, and new moons. All of these constitute shadows that anticipate the coming of Christ”
- Read Psalm 95:7b-11. What rest is God referring to here?
- The writer of Hebrews quotes Psalm 95 in Hebrews 3-4. Read Hebrews 4:12-19. The rebellion spoken of in these passages is a reference to Numbers 14. How were the Israelites rebelling? What was the consequence for their rebellion?
- Scott Hubbard: “The ultimate Sabbath rest is coming, when God’s people will enjoy work without toil, hearts without sin, and an earth without thorns.” To go deeper, read this article:
- How will you find rest in Jesus this week? (see Hebrews 4:3-11) What will you do to make Jesus your rest?