I. Walk in ____ (v. 2-8)
A. Love as _____ loved us (v. 2)
B. Commit to ______ (v. 3-5)
1. ______ purity (v. 3)
2. Purity in ______ (v. 4)
C. God’s _____ is coming (v. 5-7)
II. Walk in _____ (v. 8-14)
A. __ the light (v. 8-10)
B. ______ the darkness (v. 11-14)
III. Walk in ______ (v. 15-21)
A. Make best use of our ____ (v. 16)
B. Understand the Lord’s ____ (v. 17)
C. Be ______ with the Holy Spirit (v. 18)
D. ______ together (v. 19)
E. ______ to one another (v. 21)
- Eph. 5:1 instructs us to imitate God. Read Matt. 5:48. What does
Jesus say we should do? Is this possible? To “be perfect” is to grow in
holiness. Read a similar passage: 1 Peter 1:15. What are some
practical ways we can obey this calling?
- Read Eph. 5:2. How will you sacrificially love others this week?
Who in your life is difficult to love? How will you love him/her?
- Read Eph. 5:3. How is this a big contrast from Eph. 5:2? How can
you grow in sexual purity? Why is greed connected to sexual purity?
Read Eph. 4:17-32. If you are a Christian, don’t walk as an unbeliever!
Read Romans 6:1-4. What has happened to us spiritually as believers?
How does this shape the way we live?
- Read 1 Cor. 6:18-20. Why is sexual sin so damaging? What are we
instructed to do about sexual sin? What do we learn about our bodies
according to this passage?
- Read Matt. 5:27-30. What does Jesus teach us about lust? What
does he tell us to do about it? If you need accountability online check
- Read Eph. 5:4. How will you commit to pure speech this week? How
will you grow in thankful speech this week?
- Eph. 5:5-7. John Stott says, “For those who fall into such sins
through weakness, but afterwards repent in shame and humility, there
is forgiveness. The immoral or impure person [pictured] here is one
who has given himself up without shame or penitence to this way of
- Are you partners (do you join in) with people who are immoral?
Read 1 Cor. 15:33. We need to be in the world but not of the world.
What are steps you can take this week to not become partners with
- Walking in the light (Eph. 5:8-10) means we are growing in goodness, righteousness, truth (See Eph. 4:15, 25) and discernment. Are you walking in the light?
- Read Eph. 5:11-14. How will you expose dark deeds this week?
- Read Eph. 5:16. How will you make the most of your time this week?
- Read Romans 12:2 – how do we discern God’s will? How can we grow in renewing our minds?
- Read Eph. 5:18. What is the contrast between being drunk with wine and being filled with the Spirit? How will you choose to submit to the Holy Spirit this week?
- Read Eph. 5:19-20 and Colossians 3:16. Why is in-person corporate worship so important? How does corporate worship encourage you and help you grow?
- Do you have trouble submitting to others (Eph. 5:21)? Why or why not? If we grow in submitting to Jesus, we will grow in submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. What do you need to do this week to submit to others?
- Jesus told his disciples: The one who has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9). Jesus perfectly imitated his Father. As God’s child, how will you imitate Him this week
- Take time to pray and ask God for the strength and wisdom to imitate Him.